CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Dominic

Dominic
6 yrs old

Lily

Lily
4 yrs old

Sara

Sara
19 months old

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mommy Post

Well I can't fight the battle anymore. I have given in. Dom won't take naps anymore. I will try to lay him down for an hour or so just to see if he'll fall alseep, but usually he won't. He just wants to play. So instead I took the advice of Becky. His bedtime is now 7pm and that's fine with me. If he gets whiney during the day then I will send him to lay down for some quiet time.
At least this way I don't have to plan my days around his naps anymore or that often.

A few new things he's done. His personality is sure coming out and it's all boy. He may be very sensitive but he's definately a boy! There was a commercial this morning for "Spike the dinosaur". He has never seen it but he went crazy! He was oooing and aweing! It was cute. It's a remote control dinosaur. He loves things like that and I'm hoping he'll something like that for Christmas.
He's also becoming more interested in cartoons. He doesn't like me to change the channel to my shows anymore during the day. We are watching Sponge Bob right now and he got really excited when I flipped it on. It was cute.
He's also really big into books right now. Yesterday he sat on my lap and had me read 4 books to him. Goodnight Moon was like 3-4 times. He just wanted more and more. I love it! I let him pick out two books for me to read to him at night and he loves it. He goes to bed pretty well. He'll kick for a minute and whine when I leave, but then he's usually out before too long.
Recently I found a collection of the Little Critters by Mercer Myer in one book at Ross. It has 6 books inside. I am so excited. I read those books all the time when I was little. It was only $8 too! So, you can never go wrong w/books. Eventually they will read them.

I have cooled it for now w/the Preschool thing. I actually didn't realize that Pre-school starts in the fall w/regular school. So next Fall we will do something. He turns 3 at the end of January so he'll be ready. As far as the reading thing goes for Kindergarten, I didn't realize that either. So I am in no way expecting my son to be able to read before entering K. I do want him to know letters, numbers, shapes and colors.

I think I am finally starting to get a grasp on the whole 2 yr old phase, finally.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Doing great Renee!! You are such a good mom. You are focusing on the really fun and wonderful things about children this age. I admit that raising a young child isn't a walk in the park by any means, and I am ispired by you and this post to remember the fun things, and that they grow up REALLY fast. I am glad my advice about the naps works for you. . .

Uberly Ewe said...

I am glad that things are working out. When Bug started pulling the "NO NAP" issue, I also just let him stay up and would put him to bed early at night. Gave me much more time at the end of the day. Which I love! Now if we are driving in the car after 2pm in the afternoon he will ususally fall asleep but this is not a good thing, because he will not go to sleep until 10pm...way to late for me.

You are doing a great job Renee' Keep looking at the positive in things and it will make it easier.

Mikaela said...

Oh the dreaded no nap thing! It is such a pain, isn't it? McKay did that for a while, and now he is back to occassionally taking naps...if I've kept him super busy in the morning and tired him out, he'll sleep. If not, it just seems like a super, super long day! Gotta love it, right?!

That's so great about the books...i wished I'd gone through my books before leaving Spokane, as I've got oh, I'd say 4 to 500 children's books, and given you some....I have boxes upon boxes of them. I'm a little obsessive...and yet, McKay will rarely read a book! lol! Go figure!

Smith Family said...

We also have a ton of kids books. I got most of ours at Goodwill. Their kids books are 10 cents to a dollar depending on the book. They usually have the little critters books too. I agree that you can never go wrong with books.

Brianne said...

I guess I've gotten lucky with my kids! Mason and Jayni still take naps and they go to bed at 7 and will wake up the next morning around 7:30-8:00 most days. Most everyone I talk to say there kids would stop taking naps around 2 or 3.

I love when kids personalities come out. It's so fun to experience. Just as I was reading your post Mason came running up and started saying, "butterflies" in his not so perfect pronunciation. That's the first I've heard him say it!

Megan said...

you are doing awesome Renee. It'll all be second nature. you remind me of when I was being the mom to a rambunctious 2 y/o boy. Connor was such a handful! But it sounds like you are making your way so well over all of the hurdles!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin