CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Dominic

Dominic
6 yrs old

Lily

Lily
4 yrs old

Sara

Sara
19 months old

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mommy Post

Dom was so cute tonight. He kept following me every where I went as I was cleaning up the house a little. He'd whine whenever I was out of sight. He just loves to be w/me. I am trying to take it for what it is instead of letting it be annoying. After I vacuumed (thank you for the spelling Jandre) Dom was just so excited. He kept running all over the living room screaming excitedly!

I've taken him on a few errands the past two days and he has been pretty good.
Today my friend and I went to the mall and I suggested that we just put our kids in one stroller to save time. So I laid the stroller seat all the way down and we strapped my friend's daughter, Eve, in the front and put Dom behind her. They were fine for the first 10 minutes and then they started to bug each other. Dom was kicking her and she was pushing him away. I just smiled thinking that some day that will by my life trying to keep Dom and baby sister from fighting.

I just learned that Dom is very sensitive when other babies are crying. We were eating lunch at my friend Annie's house and her daughter is teething and was very fussy. Dom just started crying and was scared every time Eve would cry. It was sad. He is very sensitive to other's emotions though.

I am trying to get Dom into pre-Headstart. I called last week and they said that we didn't qualify due to income. I really think it's important to get Dom into pre-school when he's 3. My parents are teachers and my mom said that kids that don't know how to read when starting Kindergarden are going to have a hard to keeping up. So that is my goal to make sure Dom can read a little bit, knows his ABC's, knows his colors, animals and shapes before Kindergarden. So my question is, does anyone know of a free pre-school or anyone know what kind of kits I could get to teach him myself? Let me know if you have any ideas. Dom will be 3 end of Jan 09.

5 comments:

Sharalyn said...

Teach him how to learn and how much fun it is to learn by exposing him to all the wonders of his world. Talk to him about what you/he sees from sock folding to grass growing and rain drops. As for children reading when they enter kindergarten - some children will be able to, many will not. It is not just a matter of formally teaching them to read, it is also maturation which they all do at an individual pace. Remember, learning should be fun!

Kalia said...

I've been looking at preschool stuff myself. Atley just turned 3, online there are a lot of purchasable kits but most were over $300 for a years worth, which is not in my budget right now, so I found a few sites that have ideas, themes, craft ideas, for free: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html, http://www.first-school.ws/, http://www.thelearningboxpreschool.com/pages/Curriculum.htm, http://www.preschoolexpress.com/discovery_station.shtml, http://mothergoosetime.com/themes.php, http://www.preschoolrainbow.org/, these are some of the sites I found in my search yesterday (so ironic, you ask for info right after my search) so I hope some of these can help, the following site lists some of the above and others http://preschool.suite101.com/article.cfm/online_preschool_lesson_plans, it was a list of sites that have free preschool curriculum ideas. Good luck! I hope to start something going at home for my son soon.

Smith Family said...

Also try to remember that they are children for only so long and that really it is their job to play. Kids learn best through play and fun not sit and listen type activities. But also don't fret to much. I would wait till he is three. ECEAP is always a great resource for preschool once he is three but he wouldn't start till September next year instead of this year. I loved Kami's preschool but it is up on the hill, though really not that far from you. It is behind the HICO on Perry. I have their name and number if you would like to talk to them regarding ECEAP (free based on income) but they also can allow for those that don't meet income requirements if they don't fill up and this one didn't usually fill up. Just a thought.

ABBOTTLAND said...

It is so sweet that he wants to follow you around. I know it can be a little annoying at times, but you are good to be patient and take it for what it is right now. He is a mommy's boy. I know you are anxious to get him started with preschool. Just don't think you have to teach him everything right now. He was a preemie and sometimes they take a little longer to catch on to things. I have a friend who had two preemies and there is state help out there, that I'm sure Dom would qualify for. That helps with those areas where he might struggle. I don't know what the requirements are for Washington, but I'm sure you can find out. I know myself from having a child who is a little developmentally delayed. It can be frustrating for both of you if you are trying to teach him everything and comparing him to other 3 year olds. Just focus on Alphabet or Numbers one letter or number a week. Flash cards are great too, to familiarize them with the pictures. Walmart has some great flashcard packets. I hope this helps. You are doing a great job. He is a beautiful, happy little boy. A credit to you and Vince.
~Mandy

Mikaela said...

I think it's great you want to get Dom into school, but I have to agree a little with Holly that they're only kids for so long. Also, I don't think kids are behind AT ALL if they get into kindergarten and they cannot read. They're behind if they LEAVE kindergarten and cannot read....even pre-school doesn't focus on teaching kids to read...they're just teaching them the basics: colors, alphabet, etc. So don't feel super pressured about it. I think it's almost better to wait till the kids are 3 and it's Fall before putting them in school. He's barely going to be 3...don't make them grow up too quickly! At least that's how I look at it...sorry if it came out harsh, wasn't meant to...but I know it's good to have a kid in school, especially an only child...McKay THRIVES on social interaction, so it's not a bad idea at all to have him socialized with other kids!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin