CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Dominic

Dominic
6 yrs old

Lily

Lily
4 yrs old

Sara

Sara
19 months old

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jade vs Ginger

So it turns out that introducing Ginger to our home is more difficult than we ever imagined. I wish I did some research first. I love this little kitten! We love Jade too and she's been w/us for 5 yrs. Jade has been VERY aggressive towards US. It makes Vince sad because she's his little girl. She's completely isolating herself and won't eat or go potty.
I did call a Vet clinic today to ask for some advice and she said that sometimes these things take a few weeks. A few weeks of Jade being aggressive towards us? That's a long time. I am taking Ginger to the vet tomorrow to make sure she's healthy.
I just read an article about introducing kittens to a household w/a cat established already. Suggestions I found:
Patience, don't force them together for at least a week. Issolate the new kitten in a separate room for a week and slowly let the Cat get comfortable. First they will sniff at the door and may hiss or growl. This should go away. If not consult a vetranarian.
So I guess we will just have to give this some time and allthough I hate to lock up Ginger I think it may help Jade feel better. Ginger will be fine.
I will post pics of Ginger and the Nursery soon; I promise!
Any other suggestions for adding a kitten, I'm all ears.

1 comments:

Uberly Ewe said...

As I was reading your post I was going to suggest putting the kitten (Ginger) in a room so that Jade could get use to her being there. (sniffing at the door ect.) So that Jade won't feel like she has lost all of her space. I had to do this with Pepe' when we brought him home. Carona was very friendly towards him but Sidney was very upset. I never let them be in the same room together with out me in the room for atleast a week. When Sidney was a kitten and I introduced her into my home with Carona, she was more afraid of Carona than Carona was with her, roles reversed, but I locked Sidney up in the bathroom when I was not home. When Sidney felt safe she came out of the bathroom. It took a few days. I would keep them seperated for a week and slowly introduce. Maybe just bring out things that Ginger has slept on to Jade so that she can smell her and let her get use to the smell. Patience. Also, give Jade as much attention as you can, showing her that you love her just as much as you ever did.
*Hey! this is kind of like haveing a new baby in the house and tring to let your older child know that they are still just as important and loved.* HUMM....I never thought of it that way. This is going to give you experience. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin