Two nights ago I asked Dom if he wanted to go pee pee in the potty before bed. He said YES and ran in there. I really didn't think that anything would happen. So he grabs his stool and sits on the potty. He says "all done Mommy". So I peeked in and sure enough he went pee! I made a huge deal about it and he was so proud of himself. He flushes the toilet, takes his stool to the sink and then I lift him up to wash his hands. He is really excited about all the elements of going potty.
The next day he came and told me that he wanted to go potty. Again I didn't think he would go, but he proved me wrong once again.
He got his treats each time he went.
Today I have been asking him if he wants to go potty and he kept saying no. Finally he said yes and I put him on the potty. Nothing happened! I said "good try" and put on a new diaper. Not 5 minutes later he poops in his diaper! I was upset and took him right to the potty, dumped the poop in there and sat him down. I told him that the poop goes in the potty, not his diaper. I made him sit there for a minute to get the point. He then tells me that he is all done. I was shocked when I found poop in the toilet! I made a HUGE deal about it!
I am so proud of him! He's getting to be such a big boy!
I had decided not to push to PT since we are fostering babies and it might set him back. But I guess he's ready! I am so tired of diapers.
Is now a good time to get pull-ups? How long do they wear pull-ups before wearing underwear?
Dominic
6 yrs old
Lily
4 yrs old
Sara
19 months old
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
It's Potty Time!
at 11:21 AM
Labels: Dominic, Dominic's Development, Potty Training
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That's AWESOME Renee'! Way to go Dom! It's SOOOOOOOOOO much nicer when they're potty trained! Especially when you're changing diapers of another one! I hope he keeps up the great work!
Pullups? Depends on who you ask. I read a downloadable potty book I bought and the author of that one says if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc, then it's a duck, so stay away from pullups, just go straight to underwear because the kids will confuse them for diapers. For us that worked. No pullups, no diapers. So, whatever you feel is right. I agreed with the author, and we lucked out with very few accidents. Good luck, I'm glad he is so excited and doing well. Pooping in the potty is huge. It took Atley 3 days to try, then he was good. Lots of rewards!
Great news! PT can be a pain, but it's so worth it. We didn't use pullups, so I can't say how long to use 'em. I started with underware, put Landon on the toilet every half hour. By the third time, he started telling me when he needed to go and that was that! I used diapers at first when we were gone from the house and at nap/bedtime. Very few accidents overall. I think you're doing great because the big thing is to be supportive and praise them and not to get angry when there's a set back.
He is doing great- the only way potty training works, is if THEY want to do it. Just a tip- don't get upset with him for having an accident or forgetting to go on the toilet- - it sets them way back. I think you are doing a great job. I am so jealous of the others who have posted comments before me - - I had HORRIBLE problems with accidents from both Marcus and Cynthia. Cynthia had accidents from when she was trained at 2 1/2 to just last summer when she turned 5- several every day. It was soooo hard not to get angry with her. I found really fast that when I did, she even had a harder time staying dry. I am so envious of angela's comment- I tried to take my kids every half hour, but as soon as they realized it was MY agenda and not theirs- - they started refusing or throwing fits when I would try to make them sit on the toilet. My kids are just SUPER independent. They have to feel like it is their idea, and it is on their own terms! I agree pull-ups don't really work- they think of it and use it just like a diaper. I just use them for at night (both my 7 year old and 5 year old still need them at night), or when they are first trianed- when we go out in public. It is a pain to clean up accidents in underwear, though- but truly it is what works. Get used to doing lots of laundry!
Post a Comment