Most of you know that I am NOT a morning person! I know I've blogged about this before, but I need more imput.
I've really never been a morning person. When I went to school, my Mom got me up most mornings until I was older. I had to get up when I worked in the morning a few years ago. I seem to be able to roll out of bed easier when there's a purpose. Not saying that my kids are purpose enough but you know what I mean, right?
I hate mornings! Here's what's worse. Dominic thinks he's a big big boy and trys to do everything himself. He turns on the TV and watches a few hrs of cartoons or movies or plays games by the time I get up. Lily's fussing is what gets me up. So, I'll get up and he's ALWAYS getting into things. He pulls a chair up to the counter in the kitchen and will cut open things (gogurt or a packaging). We had to get a fridge and microwave lock and that's kept him out of those places. So, when I'm barely awake and find out what he's done (the last two mornings he got into Lily's shower gifts and opened her new toys and potty) I fly off the handle. I'm not even awake enough to deal w/this!
He's really quiet and sleeps downstairs so I don't even hear when he gets up! He never comes upstairs cause I'm a little scary in the morning :(
We're trying to get him to come upstairs and crawl in bed w/me from now on and he can watch a movie in there, with me.
We are also going to be switching rooms w/him in a few weeks. Vince and I both feel safer having both kids upstairs and us downstairs. Maybe this will reduce his running wild in the mornings?
I know he doesn't do things in a malicious manner and that's he probably just bored or crying out for more attention. I don't know though?
I just wish he'd listen to us and do what he's told. He's getting into trouble day after day...it's getting tiring and ruining my days!
Dom's been sick this past week or so, so we've been cooped up in the house. I'm going a little stir crazy! Vince has been very understanding and lets me get out to breathe once n a while.
I feel like a lazy Mom lately and it's probably a lot to do w/the rainy weather.
So, thank you for letting me write down my feelings and hopefully some of you other "NON-morning" people could back me up a little :)
I love being a Mom and we're so blessed to have adopted our two children!
I'm so blessed to be able to stay-at-home w/them, but it's definately THE hardest job ever!
In the end, I am happy, but just looking for some advice and support!
Dominic
6 yrs old
Lily
4 yrs old
Sara
19 months old
Monday, February 8, 2010
Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Mom
at 11:58 PM
Labels: Stay at home Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
sorry that things have been so difficult with the sleeping issues. It is hard to be a mommy who is a morning sleeper when your kids are not. Most kids are up at the crack of dawn if not sooner. I would suggest putting food out for Dom so that if he gets hungry (I am sure he is) he can get to it and eat. Do you think Dom might be ready to understand what time it is? He is 4 now and I started with my Bug at this age. I set up a digital clock in his room. Covered up the minute numbers so only the hour number was showing. Then posted a sign that said...."when my clock says 7 then I can come out" You pick the time. I would also suggest giving him some quite time activites to do in his room until it is time for him to come out. The only thing I worry about you guys moving him upstairs is the fact that you are working on potty training right? Is Dom trained for nighttime? He will have a long way to go now if he needs to go potty. And he might come down stairs to use the bathroom and get distracted and want to hit the kitchen and the living room.
And Renee' you have to understand, that you can't expect him to just sit around waiting for you to wake up. His internal clock is different than yours. You need to figure out what you are willing to allow him to do in the morning if you just cant wake up when he does. But 7am is not unreasonable time for you to wake up and or allow him to get something for himself to eat.
I hope this didn't sound to harsh.
And I hope that you get this comment...as you did ask me to comment on your blog.
Hugs.
I hear ya, I'm in the Moms Against Mornings club too. And especially this time of year, it can be so hard for me to climb out of bed, I really need the sun.
Alarm clocks really don't wake me (probably because I'm so used to so much noise all the time anyway ;). So something that helps me is my hubby has a bright light on his side of the bed with an electric timer hooked up to it that is set to turn the light on at a certain time, and without it I would not wake up. He got the timer at Home Depot for like $5, just plugs into the wall, and you plug whatever into it. I am considering setting one up with some kind of electric potpourri in my room too, since certain smells also help me wake up and feel energetic.
My boys get into things if I don't get up too, and it's one of the other things that convinces me to roll out of bed. My day goes so much better if I wake up and have a quiet shower to myself, rather than being woke up by cranky hungry children or a mess.
Hope you find something that helps. :)
Post a Comment